Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I Can Rant Like You Too

A few days ago, upon the release of the local public University admission result, I was asked to go to a little gathering with some 20 friends and teachers. From my twitter, it is obvious some has already learnt that I was not accepted into any local public university (which is run by the federal government or the great Barisan Nasional). Normally, when you apply to them, you are required to fill up 8 choices, and the government will try to give you a course from which you choose. If you do not fit into the 8 choices you choose, they will ask if you want to be "lelong", which means they will simply throw you any leftover courses, which often times are useless ones. It is not unusual to see words like "haiwan, tumbuhan or ikan" appearing in your degree when you are being "lelong".


I being a smartass refused to be "lelong" so the government did not give me anything at all. I guess this is liken to what the Japanese call an "honour death". But of course I knew this was coming, so I had made plans earlier. Oh yes, I was going to talk about the gathering.


C.L. is one of my longest friend, to date he has been around for the past 12 years. He is a good student with a above average result of CGPA 3.5 in STPM. After STPM, he tried to apply to NTU, NUS but to no avail. Later, he was admitted into USM to do chemical engineering but for 16 hours only before USM made the infamous blunder and rejected him. Now finally, he was accepted into a public university, but into something he don't like to do, his 8th choice as a matter of fact. So after all these months of mental torture, he is in a state of despair. After much thought, he now decided to take pharmacy in a private institution. That night, he went with me to the gathering, and just before he could take a seat, one the of teachers, a woman (I have to stress this strongly in this case), right away started rambling to him how bad his decision was, how bad his choice of University was, how terrible it is and she continued on and on pouring buckets of cold water for the next 25 minutes if not 30. Her voice literally quacks like a duck. And I was furious to see her do that to my friend.


If it were not for my other 20 ex-classmates and friends who were there, I would have throw some money on the table and left. Ya, just like what you usually see in the movie, it happens in real life. At the end, the only thing I could do was to show a pissed off face, hoping she in her insensitivity will somehow get the hint that people are unhappy. Even friends sitting beside me started to whisper into my ears that she is being bitchy. And WE DON'T NEED THIS RIGHT NOW.


As much as I like to shout "CIBAI" in a empty elevator or joke out loud with close friends over dinner. In public places with usual friends or acquaintances, I still enjoy a certain degree of politeness. It is social etiquette 101. We are gentlemen, we do not rant in public and we do not shout, if there is something we cannot agree on, we take it out gently even if we don't want to. You want to shout, scold, ramble and have sex, we do it in private. Social etiquette 101, 8 years old, English tuition class, grade 3, 1997. You bet the 10 years of English tuition my father sent me is not wasted. I don't know what kind of family some of these people come from. Even today, my father would still constantly say things like "don't quarrel with your friends, don't be rude with people outside" to me.


Men love women, we love sweet women that say nice things, that are polite, that know how to carry themselves around. The kind of women we are afraid of are not fat women or ugly women. We are afraid of women that will "SIA SOI" us in public. We are afraid of their mouth and the things they say, their 9 feet long tongue that may embarrass us in any way. Don't ask why men like to gather around men and talk among themselves most of the time. Because our "water face " is very important, can you please not drop it for us? We don't ask very much really, we will do nice things in return, just give us a little peace sometime.



Proverbs 25:24 "It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house"




In 2009 68.9% students who are admitted into Local Public University are Malay, 25% are Chinese, the rest are Indians and other races. Malay students were admitted via Matrculation, Chinese and Indians were admitted via STPM. Don't even get me started on which type of people get what kind of course, but anyway welcome to 1Malaysia.

6 comments:

Orcagal said...

Women are like that, but i am glad i am not like that.

Sorry that you didn't get into local uni.

Choonie, the Guru said...

hahaha... I hope I am not the one you are talking about. Quack quack quack...

Andrew Ho said...

hahaha.....

~aSstHa~ said...

hmmm... I used to be like that... now a tad more controlled with the cuss words but still use the F's and S's quite often... :P

Agreed tho that there's nothing more repulsive than to hear an otherwise beautiful woman cursing... specially in any chinese language...

hope ur uni woes get sorted out soon... (n i gotta remember to bookmark this page instead)

Unknown said...

“We are afraid of women that will SIA SOI us in the public"

I like the way you bought out your idea, and i am totally agree with this verse.

Redbabe said...

yeah... Malaysia Boleh. 1Malaysia. *rolling eyes*

Post a Comment