Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"I won't be labeled as average" -- Rachel Joy

Super Short Talk: I wrote this post before Teoh Beng Hock died, so this explains the frequent dead people posts, it pretty much make my blog some sort of a tribunal for dead people already.


Every now and then, you know I like to talk about dead people who died unfortunately. I figured I have by far showed too little gratitude for the life that I have. And I need to constantly remind myself. Not that I have a great life to begin with, it's just well, better than the shit life some people have. Today I just thought I want to share with you about a girl call Rachel Joy Scott.


In one of the deadliest school shooting in US history, Rachel Joy Scott was the first victim. She was 17 years old when she were shot multiple shoots to death. Her funeral was televised and the ratings scored higher than Princess Diana's.





On one fine day, her life was taken away. Just like that, there weren't any warnings or a last word. Even criminals and soldiers had better treatment, they get to make a last phone call. She however did not. She was shot while having lunch on a lawn outside school library. She did not have a blog then, but she left behind six diaries and several essays about her belief in God and how she wanted to change the world through small acts of kindness. Shortly before her death, she wrote an essay for school stating, “I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion then it will start a chain reaction of the same.


If there is one thing I know about life, I know it has always been a chain reaction. And every action has a reaction, very much like what Newton's third law says about mechanics If the crazy shooter didn't shoot her on that fateful day, she wouldn't have died and I wouldn't write about her today. And she wouldn't be such an inspiration to many others. It's been 10 years since she's dead. But in this world, nobody really dies, they are just merely forgotten. Some easier to forget while others lived on.


And umm, lastly, I really don't like this part of my composition, I don't want to give people the impression that Christians are fanatics. But sometimes shit happens. And I can't possibly downplay that.





"I am not going to apologize for speaking the name of Jesus . . . If I have to sacrifice everything . . . I will." –Rachel Scott


"The Columbine tragedy in April 1999 pierced the heart of our country. We later learned that the teenage killers specifically targeted Rachel Scott and mocked her Christian faith on their chilling, homemade videotapes. Rachel Scott died for her faith. Now her parents talk about Rachel's life and how they have found meaning in their daughter's martyrdom in the aftermath of the school shooting. Rachel's Tears comes from a heartfelt need to celebrate this young girl's life, to work through the grief and the questions of a nation, and to comfort those who have been touched by violence in our schools today. Using excerpts and drawings from Rachel's own journals, her parents offer a spiritual perspective on the Columbine tragedy and provide a vision of hope for preventing youth violence across the nation."

No comments:

Post a Comment